Buying a vehicle not only involves choosing its colour, comparing all the features, etc. Right after its purchase or sealing the agreement with the dealer, a vehicle owner has to go through additional procedures. This includes getting the vehicle registration done and opting for a motor insurance plan for your new ride.
Vehicle registration is one of the crucial steps you should complete before you start driving on the roads. Read on to know about the application procedure, paperwork required, and reasons to get your vehicle registered with the Regional Transport Office (RTO).
How to apply for vehicle registration?
Both online and offline registration methods at RTO are available for commercial as well as private vehicles. The offline process involves the following steps:
Step 1: You need to visit a local Regional Transport Office first with the brand-new vehicle.
Step 2: After that, collect Form 20 fill it up with necessary information. Following the verification and necessary fee payment, this vehicle registration will be completed.
Step 3: Once the vehicle owner submits the form, an RTO superintendent will be verifying or inspecting them thoroughly. Additionally, the IMV or Inspector of Motor Vehicle will check the new vehicle as well.
Step 4: After inspection, the RTO office will submit all the information related to the vehicle in the central database.
Step 5: Once this verification procedure is complete, the ARTO or Assistant Regional Transport Officer will approve the vehicle registration.
After this, applicants will receive vehicle registration details and a Smart Card to the registered address.
Note that the alternative online RTO registration can be done using VAHAN website. It is an integrated platform tailor-made for vehicle registration purposes. The process takes hardly a few minutes to get a registration number for any commercial or private vehicle if all the documents are available.
Documents necessary to carry out vehicle registration
Following is a list of documents one has to submit to complete this procedure:
- Proof of address
- Proof of date of birth
- PAN card or Form 60
- Passport-size photograph
- Pollution Under Control Certificate, provided by the car dealer
- Temporary registration certificate that the dealer provides while purchasing the vehicle
- Form 20, form 21, form 22 (certificate of roadworthiness)
- Form 34 (in case one has availed a loan to purchase the vehicle)
- Invoice obtained from the manufacturer or dealer
- Vehicle insurance details
- Engine number print along with chassis
Apart from these, your local RTO might ask for some additional documents. Make sure to check the list of necessary documents and prepare them before dropping the vehicle registration form.
Why should you register your vehicle?
Vehicle registration is necessary for the following reasons:
- To get rights to sell your vehicle: By getting your vehicle registered, you will be getting legal rights to sell it whenever you want. Not having a valid RC (registration certificate) will automatically cause unwanted interruptions.
- To obtain ownership proof: A vehicle registration certificate works as proof of ownership. It should be availed by every vehicle owner as per Motor Vehicle Act, 2019. Without this particular document, one cannot drive his/her vehicle on the roads of India.
- To claim a motor insurance policy: To claim reimbursement under a motor insurance plan, it is mandatory to have a vehicle registration number. Also, without this number, it can be difficult to renew a vehicle insurance policy as well.
Whether you are planning to purchase vehicle insurance or renew it, Finserv MARKETS is an online aggregator platform that can help you in this regard. On this platform, you can compare and find a suitable insurance plan as per your requirement.
Note that carrying out the vehicle registration is not enough; you also need to renew it. Generally, this registration remains valid for 15 years; after that, one has to renew to avoid negative consequences. Moreover, in case the registration expires, that particular vehicle has to undergo a fitness test once again. Nevertheless, understanding this process as perplexing as understanding stock market, just remembering the few steps will do the job.